Friday 20 April 2012

Hong Kong Field Trip


 We just got back from a three-day field trip to the countryside of Hong Kong with the Grade 4 and 5. Needless to say, I am tired and dirty… but had a lot of fun! In between the torrential downpour of rain, Kate getting over 70 mosquito bites on her legs (yes I counted) my room smelling like pee, the thunder and lightening storm while we stood outside under a metal rooftop, and the 5 kids throwing up, and one having a mild seizure… it wasn’t a bad trip at all! Haha After taking 34 students across the border to Hong Kong we got there on Wednesday around noontime. We first moved into our rooms. The kids had rooms full of bunk beds, which was a lot of fun for them (until the next night when many kids got sick). Us leaders each had our own room, although mine smelled a lot like pee, I dealt with it and slept there! After we got our rooms we had lunch, which was sandwiches that were actually really good, and then we went to the gym all afternoon. The activities were supposed to be archery and repelling, but because of the rain, we were inside all afternoon doing rock climbing and playing with the parachute (which I forgot was so much fun to play with). That night we had a BBQ outdoors for supper. I was really anxious to see how this was going to work with 34 kids from many different places all over the world, and that probably had never heard of a BBQ before. We were given corn, fish balls (which weren’t really the balls from fish, it was just some kind of gross fish mixture rolled into a ball. I took a bite and spit it out) chicken wings (didn’t try one), sweet potatoes (they were good after they cooked on the fire for about 45 minutes) and hot dogs (anyone that knows me knows the answer to that one). The kids actually made out great and no one got burned! I was surprised. Most of them said the BBQ was the best part of the trip! I think I ate about 7 ears of corn; they were too good to pass up!  After supper we went for a walk through the woods which was nice, but there was a lot of bugs, which the kids didn’t like (I can’t lie, I didn’t like it either) I came out of the woods really itchy, but didn’t get any bites.
            On Thursday morning I woke up around 6 and went for a run up the road to a village by myself. It was the first time I have gone for a run by myself and didn’t have a clue where I was going (yes mom, I made sure to tell someone that I was going for a run so someone would come looking for me if I didn’t come back). I ran through the hills of the countryside of Hong Kong and came to this little village. It was actually a really nice run because the water was along the way too. I wasn’t nervous running by myself until I came upon 4 bulls and a baby cow walking up the sidewalk towards me. I didn’t really know what to do, so I just jumped off into the bushes and let them go by. I didn’t hide myself too well though, because when they went by each one of them stopped and starred at me while they snorting. I thought to myself, “this is how I am going to die. I am going to get rammed by this bull and thrown into the bushes and never seen again.” Although I think I worked up more of a sweat letting those things go by then I did when I was actually running, I survived. I can only imagine what people that drove by thought as they looked into the ditch and saw a white girl with a bright purple top on crouched down as the bulls went by. (such a foreigner) and don’t get me wrong, I love animals, but when you’re already nervous from running up and down the hills of a strange land and you see 4 bulls coming at you with a baby, it is a bit scary!
            The rest Thursday was suppose to consist of  Kayaking and hiking, but after one group got to do one of each, the thunder, lightning and rain started so we had to head back to camp. Kate’s group got to go kayaking before heading back, and Jess’s group and mine went hiking. It was actually an interesting hike because we went through an old rice field, saw one of the 6 most deadliest plants in Hong Kong, and ended up on a beach where there was many different kinds of shells. It was also interesting because the rain started as we were heading back and we all were soaked by the end of it. This wasn’t good for many of the kids, and I got to see personalities come out in the kids that I haven’t seen yet!
            That night we had supper, and then went to the theatre to put on skits. Many of the kid’s skits were about death or fighting (the Dragonfly staff should have made it clear that there was to be no violence in these skits. They’re obviously not teachers) Joey, Kate, Jess and I even put on a skit of our own for the kids. They loved it.  After all this the throwing up started. We still aren’t sure why, but by the end of the night 5 kids had thrown up. I am not too good with throw up, so I sort of hung back and let the other 3 leaders take control. Hahaha! I didn’t realize that teaching also involved things like cleaning up throw up (this is why I decided to become a teacher, NOT a nurse. I have a weak stomach.)
            The next morning there was more throwing up, and one kid had a mild seizure. After finishing their last activity, it was finally time to go home! All of the kids were very excited to get home, especially the ones that were sick. We still aren’t sure why those kids were sick, could have had something to do with the chicken leg they were gnawing on that afternoon, but overall, it was a good field trip and all the kids had a lot of fun (which was most important). The only bad part for me was the food, but that’s because I hate white bread, sketchy meat and milk that doesn’t have to be refrigerated (I don’t get it). We came back to the school today and had pizza waiting for us, which made me really really happy!
             Overall, the field trip was a lot of fun, and was a great experience. It is so funny to see how students act outside of the classroom. You can really see their personality once you get them away from the classroom and home for 3 days! Here are some pictures from the past 3 days. I am not allowed to post pictures of the students on facebook, so my blog will have to do! 












hahahahhahahah this picture is too funny!



caught him mid-chew



pretty butterfly from our hike





The girls were less than impressed with the rain 





we made it back! 
           

No comments:

Post a Comment