Thursday 22 March 2012

We Landed in Hong Kong!

We FINALLY made it to Shenzhen after a long day.. or two days.. or day and a half… im not sure im still confused about the time change! Hahaha  but overall we were travelling from 4am Friday until 11am Saturday (New Brunswick time) Shenzhen is 11 hours ahead of New Brunswick so we ended up getting here around 10 pm after an 8 hour delay in Toronto (but we got a $250 voucher for Air Canada).
Flying over the Arctic 
             The plane ride wasn’t to bad! Me and kate got lucky because no one sat with us so we took turns laying down and sleeping! I probably got 5 hours of sleep all together, which is definitely more than I had planned. There were many friendly Chinese people on the plane so we chatted them up a bit and asked them about China. I wish it wasn’t dark when we flew in, but as soon as I wake up and the sun is shining I will be able to see everything!  As soon as we got off the plane, we could feel the humidity! Our initial plan was to get off the plane, buy a ticket for the ferry to Shenzhen, claim our bags and go through customs and then someone would meet us. Because of the 8 hour delay, we missed the last ferry so after asking a few of the workers at the airport and following all the signs (thank god they were in English) we made it through customs, found our bags, bought a ticket for a “limousine” ride which actually was a van, whose driver kept almost falling asleep while driving on the wrong side of the road! Well we thought he was falling asleep anyways cause we could see him in the rearview mirror and his eyes kept closing, so Avery made conversation with him to keep him awake! The van took us through the border of Hong Kong to Shenzhen Bay where we saw lots of Palm Trees and it got everyone excited!  Thankfully there was a young Chinese lady in the van with us that let us use her cell phone to call the school and let them know our original plan was scratched and we would actually need to be picked up at Shenzhen Bay. She spoke Chinese on the phone, and when we got out of the van all she said was stay here. So that’s what we did. We stayed there and waited to be picked up!
First "toilet" I used in China 
            Anyone that knows me knows that I pee A LOT so of course while we were waiting for someone to pick us up I couldn’t wait until we got to the hotel and decided to pee at the port. I walked into the bathroom and this is what I found! Haha! Welcome to China! Thankfully, there were hooks to hang my bags on though while I used the washroom because I really didn’t want to set my things on the ground (if you think the floors in Canadian bathrooms are gross, think again!) From now on I will remember to take toilet paper with me wherever I go!
            Once we were picked up we were brought to the hotel where we are living for two months! We weren’t sure before this if we would be staying on campus or at a hotel, but the hotel is now our home for two months! It is just a very short walk to campus so it all worked out! As soon as we got to our rooms we changed into shorts and sandals (YESSSSS) and went downtown to a pub called McCawleys Irish Pub as its St. Pattys day! There were a lot of young foreigners there from all over, but we were exhausted so just grabbed something quickly to eat and headed back to the hotel!
            Right now it is 2:13 am and we are going to try to go to sleep and wake up early enough to try and get on schedule here as we are in the schools starting Monday! It is giving 27 and sun tomorrow so I plan on going on a long walk and getting acquainted with the area around me! There is one Internet cord in our hotel room so I will be on the Internet as much as possible! Hope you enjoyed this post! There will be many more to come J

No comments:

Post a Comment